Oils for oily skin? We know it sounds crazy, but bear with us. It is indeed a fact that some oils are actually little known geniuses when it comes to combating oily skin.
If you suffer from oily skin it probably goes against every natural urge you have to put more oil on top, and we are certainly not suggesting that you grab the nearest bottle of cooking oil and start smearing it all over your face (please don’t do that!).
However research has shown that there are some fantastic, natural oils out there that are actually truly brilliant at helping to reduce excess oil on the skin and leave you with a soft, glowing, dewy complexion. And the best part is – these oils aren’t a one-time fix. Over time, they’ll give your skin the nourishment it needs to reduce excess oil on its own.
How does oil for oily skin work?
Oils that are good for your skin contain fatty acids that are necessary in order to keep your skin hydrated. The body needs a little helping hand to produce these oils that not only leave your skin nourished but also protected against extreme temperature changes, and harsh, dry weather conditions.
Unfortunately the kind of sebum that excessively oily, prone-to-breakouts kind of skin produces is oleic acid (you know, the oil that gives you that troublesome greasy looking skin, the one which blocks pores and causes breakouts). Whereas the kind of sebum that’s found in the pores of healthy, breakout-free skin is linoleic acid.
Unlike oleic acid which is thick and causes the sort of pore blockages that lead to blackheads and breakouts, linoleic acid is thinner and is able to move freely through your pores so it can keep your skin well moisturized without the oiliness.
The good news is that by supplying your skin with linoleic acid, over time you can gradually shift your own sebum from greasy oleic to lovely linoleic.
So which magical oils aid this transformation? Here’s how to control oily skin by rubbing the right oil on your face!
Oils for Oily Skin #1. Rosehip oil
This gorgeous face oil is light enough to wear in lieu of a daytime lotion, and each and every drop contains vitamins, nutrients, antioxidants and of course those essential fatty acids needed to hydrate the skin. It’s composed of around 44% linoleic acid, making it one of the best oils for oily and acne prone skin.
And although it’s a pretty trendy oil right now, it’s actually been used for generations by ancient Egyptians, Mayans and Native Americans to help with a number of health issues, including promoting glowing, healthy skin.
A small application goes a long way and feels light and soothing on the skin. It works to repair the skin’s surface with natural healing properties and, of course, helps to reduce the skin producing oil itself, thus leaving you with a fresh and radiant complexion.
- BEST PREMIUM QUALITY - 100% Pure USDA Certified Organic Rosehip Oil in a large 4 oz bottle. Cold pressed, no...
- GREAT CARRIER/BASE OIL - Use in Aromatherapy, Massage, DIY Skincare, Body Oils, Blends, Spa Care.
- BODY, HAIR, & FACE TREATMENT - This pure and organic oil provides the skin with a rich source of antioxidants...
Oils for Oily Skin #2. Hemp Oil
Hemp seed oil is one of our favorite oils for oily skin. It gently cleanses the skin and (wait for the science bit) has a comedogenic rating of 0 which means it will not settle into and therefore clog up pores. In fact, it does the opposite, actually helping to reduce excess sebum.
That’s ’cause hemp seed oil has a 57% concentration of linoleic acid – a lack of which will cause your skin to rev up and the sebaceous glands to produce sebum rich in oleic acid. This thick, gloopy, oil secretion (lovely we know!) is what blocks the pores and causes all that extra oil to stay on the skin’s surface.
Hemp seed oil’s rich linoleic acid content helps signal to your skin that sebum is not needed, therefore reducing the appearance of oil on your skin. Oh, and did we mention that this oil is amazingly nourishing? It’s not quite light enough for daytime use, but makes the perfect nighttime moisturizer for oily skin.
- NUTRIENT DENSE: Nutiva Organic, Cold-Pressed, Unrefined Hemp Seed Oil contains the ideal 3:1 ratio of Omega 3...
- NATURALLY EXTRACTED: Nutiva’s all-natural cold press extraction process yields a pure, nutty-tasting,...
- PREMIUM DIET COMPATIBILITY: Nutiva Organic, Cold-Pressed, Unrefined Hemp Seed Oil is an ideal source of EFS's...
Oils for Oily Skin #3. Evening Primrose Oil
If you’ve ever struggled with a hormone imbalance, you might have heard of evening primrose oil. But it’s not just good for helping your body even out your hormone production – it’s also got one of the highest concentrations of linoleic acid (a whopping 73%).
It’s a super moisturizing oil that’s great for hydrating dry skin, but it’s even better for oily skin – yes, it sounds contradictory but this nourishing oil will basically signal to your skin that it’s already got enough good oily stuff so it could stop producing more.
The result? You’ll notice that your skin becomes remarkably less oily throughout the day, your pores don’t seem to clog and breakouts quiet down and go away.
- PROTECTS/NOURISHES: 100% Pure Evening Primrose Oil (EPO) is a natural vegetable oil used by herbal...
- NON-GMO PROJECT VERIFIED: This oil is pressed at a low temperature to obtain a pure, natural, virgin oil,...
- NOW Solutions is the next step in the evolution of personal care products, formulated with the finest...
Oils for Oily Skin #4. Tamanu Oil
Tamanu oil is a natural nut oil that can be found within the nuts that grow on the Tamanu tree. Tamanu oil is particularly well loved for its healing properties, helping stimulate the skin to produce new tissue, rejuvenating the skin and giving you a healthy, glowing complexion.
This oil is amazing for its skin rejuvenation qualities – if you’ve got acne scars, wounds, spots, and other mishaps on your skin that could use a little TLC, this is the perfect oil for it. It’s not as high in linoleic acid as some of the other oil-banishing oils on this list, but it’s too good of an oil to not include.
- Contains (1) 4 ounce bottle of 100% Pure Tamanu Oil (Calophyllum) with dropper and recipe guide pdf delivered...
- Excellent age-defying, antimicrobial agent for clearing oily skin, and reducing the appearance of acne, scars,...
- Extra Virgin Tamanu Oil is 100% pure with a nutty scent for optimal treatment of the face, skin, and nails
Oils for Oily Skin #5. Argan Oil
We are sure you have heard of the incredible benefits of Argan oil, another oil which has been known and utilised for many centuries. Look out for this handy little ingredient in skincare products as it is a wonderfully effective, natural moisturizer for both skin and hair.
Jam packed with vitamins A and E as well as anti-oxidants, omega-6 fatty acids, and that all-important linoleic acid, argan oil works wonders on an oily complexion. It reduces the secretion of sebum, clears pores and leaves the skin feeling wonderfully soft and hydrated too, could we ask for more?
- For added daily protection: daily toxins such as pollution or over-exposure to the sun can cause further...
- 100% pure. 100% pure Organic Argan Oil. Cold pressed, unrefined with no chemicals added.
- Body, skin, hair & Face treatment. This pure, natural, organic oil restores elasticity, softens wrinkles and...
So if you are sick of looking like you work in the kitchens of a fast food restaurant you might want to get your hands on one of these fantastic, natural oils.
Over time, you’ll find your complexion getting softer, cleaner, and whole lot less oily 🙂